Fellowes, one of the office machine industry’s most respected manufacturers, has unveiled a number of new paper shredders for the new year. One of them is the Powershred 125i, a strip-cut device that has a number of user-friendly features. This machine is easy to use so you will be able to shred without any hassle. Just follow these instructions:
- Plug the 125i in and turn it on. It doesn’t need to warm up, so you will be able to use it automatically.
- You will notice that the machine has a 9-inch feed opening. You can place as many as 18 sheets in the opening and they will be shredded automatically.
- This machine can shred credit cards and CD’s/DVD’s in addition to paper. There is a special safety flap you need to move into place before shredding these items. Once the flap is in place, just run your cards and/or discs through the machine.
- Do not try to shred more than 18 sheets because the shredder won’t be able to handle them. If you try to shred too much paper, the 125i’s jam-proof feature will kick in. You will notice that there is a display on the device that will turn red, yellow, and green depending on the amount of sheets in the feed opening. If the display turns red, it means that you need to remove some paper. If the display is yellow or green, just shred away.
- If your hands get too close to the 125i’s feed opening, you will find that the shredder shuts down. This is because the machine has a SafeSense feature. Just remove your hands to make the machine run normally again.
- If you don’t use the shredder for more than a couple of minutes, it will automatically go into sleep mode. To wake the machine up, touch the control panel, and insert some paper into the feed opening.
- The 125i has a 14-gallon waste bin so you will be able to shred quite a bit before needing to empty it. When the time comes, pull the handle on the side of the machine, and remove the shred bag from the bin. Recycle your shreds and put the bin back in its original position.
- Finally, you will need to oil this shredder every time you empty the waste bin. To do this, apply some shredder oil to the entire width of the feed opening. Then press the “forward” button for a few seconds. Repeat the process and then continue shredding.
- Turn the 125i off when you are done.
That in a nutshell is how to use the Fellowes Powershred 125i. Good luck and happy shredding!
About the Author: Jeff McRitchie is the Vice-President of Marketing for MyBinding.com. He regularly writes articles, reviews, and blog posts on topics related to bookbinding, laminating, paper shredding, and office equipment. More than 2,500 of his articles have been published in thousands of locations on the Internet. If you’re looking for information about laminators, paper shredders, binding machines, and other document finishing equipment, his articles are a great place to start.