The Fastback 25 photobook binder is an easy to use machine that is designed to be used as part of the Powis Photobook Workcell. However, even easy to use machines can have problems from time to time. This article will give you some basic instructions for troubleshooting problems with your Fastback 25. It will teach you how to open the machine, remove a jammed strip and clean your machine.
Opening The Fastback 25
If you ever need to work or clean inside the Fastback Photobook Model 25 binder, you must open the cover. Here is how…
1. Switch the power off.
2. For North American models you simply reach under the cover, and pull the release catch forward until the top cover pops up slightly. Gently push the cover backward until it stops in the upright position. It works just like the hood of a car. If you have a European model of the Fastback 25 you will need to use the key that is provided to open the cover of the machine.
Removing Jammed Strips
1. Open the binder cover.
2. Directly in front of the heating platen is the black metal book rest; flip this up.
3. Now inspect the bottom of the binder. The strip will probably be found here. If it isn’t, it is most likely in the feed slot or stuck to the platen.
4. Using the tongs provided with your Fastback binder, remove the strip from the binder.
5. If there is any glue on the platen, this is a good time to clean it.
6. Close the cover.
Recommended Maintenance – Cleaning the Platen
If a Fastback strip gets stuck in the machine or melted to the platen, or if adhesive has spilled out onto the heater plate, you’ll need to clean your machine to ensure proper operation. If can wait for about an hour for your Fastback to completely cool, you should clean the platen when it is cold. If the heater plate and components in your machine are completely cool, the adhesive should wipe off using a cotton cloth dampened in a citrus cleaning solution such as Fastback Icky Sticky Stuff Remover. However, if you notice adhesive is causing you problems and you can’t wait for the machine to cool, you can clean the machine hot. Here is how…
1. First put on the oven mitt (heat protective glove) that came with your machine. It is important to always wear this glove when working with a Fastback machine that hasn’t had adequate time to cool. The platen and back-up bars can be very hot.
2. Next, using the instructions above, open the cover of your Fastback machine to its full upright position. Once the machine is open you will see the Teflon-coated platen that runs across the center of the machine.
3. Once you have located the heater plate, you will need to flip up the book rest to access the top of the platen. Now you can wipe off any glue with a clean dry cloth. DO NOT use Icky Sticky Stuff Remover or citrus solution on the hot platen. These solutions should only be used with the machine is cold.
4. Wipe off any adhesive on both back-up bars or any of the clamping surfaces inside the machine.
If the unit has cooled, wipe off any glue with a cotton cloth dampened in the Citrus cleaning solution. You can also peel the adhesive off the upper side of the platen with your fingers (or a wooden instrument, like a popsicle stick).
If you are interested in more information about theFastback 25 Photobook Binder or are looking for Fastback Binding Machines or Fastback Binding Strips you should visit MyBinding.com. They are the largest online dealer for Powis Parker Fastback products in the United States. In fact, they carry the entire line of Powis Parker Fastback binding products.