Because it is a rare electric comb binding systems on the market that works with legal size sheets, the Akiles CombMac 24E already has somewhat of a competitive advantage. Meant for heavy use in a high volume work environment, the CombMac 24E aims to offer the marketplace an all in one solution for plastic comb binding. Here is a look at what we consider to be the machine’s pros and cons.
- This is one of the very few machines on the market that can punch fourteen inch (known as legal size) documents in one punch. With most of the letter size punching mechanisms, the user would have to do a two step process to punch a larger document, and that is only possible if the machine in question has an open throat design. We like the CombMac 24E’s capability to do it all in one simple step.
- Southpaws, rejoice! The CombMac 24E provides a design that allows the user to reverse the comb opener handle so the machine is as easy for lefties to use as righties. That’s a rarity in the manufacturing world, and a real boon for productivity, especially in an office where the binding machine will see use from a lot of different people.
- All of the CombMac 24E’s dies are disengageable, meaning that you have all the flexibility in the world when it comes to punching and binding documents of all different sizes, large and small. With this machine you can also use plastic combs with diameters as small as three sixteenths and as large as two inches.
- Some of the other machines out there can be a little unwieldy to operate, even with an electric punch. The CombMac 24E, however, includes a foot pedal, so the user can keep both hands on the documents he or she are processing. This really helps you to ensure an accurate punch and alignment.
- The CombMac 24E’s punching capacity is stated to be twenty five sheets at a time, though we had better luck with about twenty three. Either way, that is a pretty impressive capacity.
- We also though it was a great idea that Akiles designed the CombMac 24E so that the comb opener that bolts on top of the machine can be taken off for standalone use. That can really help with productivity by allowing a couple of people to work on a project simultaneously, assembly-line style.
- Although the foot pedal works wonderfully, we wish there was also the possibility for push button functioning of theCombMac 24E. Sometimes it’s just easier when you are processing a small number of documents. But it should be said that, as it turns out, none of the CombMac 24E’s competition includes push button operation either.
- The design of the CombMac 24E weights in at pretty heavy duty seventy five pounds, and as such, it is not the most portable office machine out there. If you think that you are going to have to move the machine around the office a fair amount, you will have to think about putting it on a wheeled cart or something similar.
If you are interested in more information about the Akiles CombMac-24E Binding Machine you should really check out MyBinding.com. They offer a great price on this machine and they even offer Free Shipping on all orders over $75. Plus, they carry one of the largest selections of Comb Binding Supplies and binding covers available on the internet. Check it out today!